The bunions on your feet may not be correctable without surgery, but there are home treatments and remedies that could ease the discomfort you may be experiencing. Our bunion doctor in Durango, CO, cares about your health and happiness and are happy to recommend several options to help alleviate pain and discomfort caused by bunions.
- Foot Exercises might help slow the progression of bunions and may prevent the need for surgery. Try stretching and exercising your toes on a daily basis.
- Use your hands and fingers to try to stretch and pull your toes into alignment with the rest of your toes.
- Stretch/Flex your toes up against a wall or floor until bent backwards, hold this stretch for ten seconds, release and repeat.
- Try picking up an article of clothing, or a marble, with your toes; drop it and pick it up again.
- Use of a bunion pad, arch supports or orthotics provided by our bunion doctor in Durango, CO, could help to realign your toes and redistribute the weight while on your feet & taking pressure off the big toe.
- Put a moleskin or felt patch around the bunion to prevent rubbing while wearing shoes.
- In an effort to relieve the pain and stress of bunions, soak your toes and feet in warm water for twenty minutes to sooth your joints and alleviate pain.
- Alternatively, for particularly sore flare ups, an ice pack applied for twenty minute increments several times a day may also ease the pain caused from bunions.
- Discuss use of non-prescription pain relievers such as acetaminophens (Tylenol) and non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or aspirin with our bunion doctor in Durango, CO.
These home treatments may help alleviate the suffering being caused by your bunions. Our 5-star rated Durango, CO, foot doctor wants to get to know you and help create a custom care plan for your unique lifestyle. At Animas Foot & Ankle, we’re here to help. If you’re concerned about your bunions or would like a second opinion with a bunion doctor in Durango, CO, request an appointment at one of our convenient podiatry offices.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our Durango podiatry office would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO EARNING THE TRUST
OF OUR PATIENTS, COMMUNITY, AND PROFESSION.
For uncompromising excellence, our foot doctors can start helping you in several ways.